Friday, January 8, 2010

Professor in Training: Faculty websites

Professor in Training: Faculty websites 

 

Need to follow the link to see the feedback received -- but I like the topic....HSM

 

Faculty websites Our department has a dismal excuse for a website which is almost impossible to navigate, the information is outdated and the links to/from the main gateway pages are all broken. But nobody seems to think this is an issue. Except me. Also, none of the faculty have individual pages which I think is a Very Bad Thing in terms of visibility, recruitment, etc. But nobody seems to think this is an issue. Except me.

Anyway, Im in the process of designing my own page and also a separate set of pages for my lab. I know the type of stuff I want in both of these but I was looking for feedback from both current and prospective students and postdocs as well as other faculty as to what you look for if/when you go searching for faculty/lab pages.

Students When youre hunting for prospective mentors, what type of stuff do you want to see on their sites? Do you just want a list of degrees, publications and a couple of keywords that describe the PIs research or do you want a little bit more? If/when you join a lab, do you want your project/information/photo included in the lab page?

Faculty When you google other faculty, what types of things do you hope to find on their site? Do you look through faculty websites when reviewing grants? If so, why?

Any/all suggestions and/or comments are very welcome. If you have a page that you really like that you dont want to link to here, particularly if its your own, feel free to email me and point out why you think its stellar.

Professor in Training: Faculty websites

No comments: